Saturday, November 14, 2009

An Improvised "Tripod"


Sometimes you just don't want to hassle with a tripod, know what I mean?

That was case for me a couple of days ago on a quick rockclimbing outing. I was planning to just shoot some casual candids of my kids climbing until I saw this great scene waiting to be photographed.

A scene like this begs to be shot with a slow, draggy shutter speed to get that great blurry water effect. So when you don't have a tripod, what do you do? Grab whatever's handy! In my case it was one of my funky smelling climbing shoes (this has no effect on your photos, trust me) and my hippy-colored bandana. So here's the setup:


Now this photo was taken with my cell phone, so cut me some slack on the lousy quality. Anyway, the point is, lock your camera down so when your rolling at a 2-second exposure your photo comes up looking tack sharp. Unless of course you're going for the fuzzy-blurry thing in which case, just forget this whole post :).


Another point to be made here is keeping your eyes open for big things in small places. Check out the actual scene I was shooting in:




So, the little red box is the actual area I photographed. I almost overlooked this spot because it was so unimpressive. No great, huge boulders or mighty rushing water here, just a little trickling stream. But, with a little cropping & the right angle, it comes across looking pretty decent.



The bottom line - keep your eyes open & make sure you have your stinky climbing shoes handy! :)












































2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post! I can't believe that little spot of stones and trickling water is the first picture. Wow. Thanks for showing off one of your tricks. The stinky shoes and the rock climbing kiddos make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You give us very nice detail on tripod that its useful to take perfect picture or photo I am very excited about this one.I am professional photographer I want to plan to buy this one it is really very useful.I will use tripod to take Panoramas, and i Motion films.This tripod look so nice.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete